Thursday 11 March 2021

When is a chilli too hot?

I had to laugh at their categorizing of me on my first visit to a vegetable shop in the Middle Eastern Bazar. I bagged up some fresh chillis for making a curry at home and went to the counter. The little Turkish man on the till told me I couldn't have them! I asked why and he tried to explain in a mix of hand gestures and broken Danish that they were too strong for people like me! I explained back that I wasn't Danish, but Scottish and that in Scotland we happily eat loads of Scotch bonnets and birds-eyes. He looked almost paternally proud and then conceded that if I actually knew what I was letting myself in for he'd happily sell me my wee bag of chillis, he had just been worried I was some naive chilli amateur who could have been killed by the after-effects of eating this wee bag full 😂 I think we are going to become his best customers, going forward.

Danish food is coming on, but I think it is still a decade or so behind Scottish when it comes to spice levels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you get to know a Scandinavian?

  I saw this on Facebook the other day; a Swedish friend from Scotland had uploaded it. It is so sweet, but both endearing and deeply distur...